Scheduling & Eligibility
- Collect as much information as possible by phone at the time of scheduling i.e. insurance eligibility, demographics and reason for visit.
- As soon as the appointment is made, verify clients insurance information.
- Registration area or check in area should be HIPPA compliant.
- Verify demographics, and obtain signed paperwork.
Coding & Documentation
- Encounter forms or Superbill should include CPT codes (new, established and comprehensive visits) and ICD-9 codes.
- Ensure client confidentiality when assessing clients ability to pay.
- Confirm insurance to be billed or implement sliding fee scale.
- Educate patients on the financial obligation and cost of services.
- Ensure all required information is complete and review the superbill or encounter form.
- If you have a Practice Management System or EMR, claims forms should be pre-populated.
- Payment should be received within 10‐15 days; Address denied claims and outstanding balances.